Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Family and Hip-hop

            My family is really close, and we share so many things and ideas with each other. One of the things we share is music, and hip-hop is one of those genres that we like. My family stretches among the three generations that hip-hop has been around. The conversations about hip-hop artist can go from the Sugar Hill Gang to Lil Wayne. I know several of my relatives are true hip-hop fans because they are in their 40s and are listening to today’s hip-hop artists. When I asked several of my relatives about their view on hip-hop, I got several answers to this question. When I asked my uncles and aunts they say they like it and it’s mostly because they grew up with the Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Kool Herc, and so many others. They also listen to artists from the 80’s, 90’s, and today, and they can tell that the music has changed so much. They see the good and the bad that comes along with the changes of the music. I know my aunt and uncle are hip-hop fans because it was their music that they danced to when they won all their dance competitions. They were the brother and sister dancing duo that no one could beat. They know that my cousins and I listen to the good and the bad of hip-hop and they are glad that the bad has not had a negative effect on us.
            With my cousins, they really love hip-hop. Most of us grew-up during the golden age of hip-hop, and it’s no surprise that their kids are big hip-hop fans. Every time we got together for a family gathering, we always have music playing and most of the time it was hip-hop. It was because of my cousins that I learned some of the earlier hip-hop dances. During our last family reunion, we had hip-hop music playing and everyone was on the dance floor, both young and old. So if someone asked me about my family’s view on hip-hop I would tell them that they love the music, all three generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment